Friday 8 June 2007

The Religion Report

I got home yesterday to a message from Stephen Crittenden of the ABC's Religion Report, asking me if I was available to go on the programme next week to make some comment.









Honestly, I find this whole process bizarre. Prior to this I couldn't even hold down a job as an assistant minister, and was in danger of joining the long term unemployed. I actually was unemployed for eight months. Now I'm like the bloke equivalent of Dame Edna's housewife superstar, or something equally ridiculous, being asked for comment on—well, I don't know what, I guess I'll have to wait and see.

There's a piece of near-doggerel that they have at the player's entrance to Wimbledon's centre court, from Rudyard Kipling's poem "If—", and it keeps coming to mind at the moment:

If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same...


However if I think about it more carefully, the far more fitting verses are Paul's: "And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose." (Rom 8:28). Read the whole passage to find context, it'll do you good as it did me!

6 comments:

RodeoClown said...

I can see the resemblance :)

I don't watch TV, but if I did, I'd be sure to watch your performance!

(Great work in the Tele yesterday btw!)

Craig Schwarze said...

The religion report is radio, isn't it?

Gordon Cheng said...

Yep, The Religion Report is found on the wireless, Wednesay nights 8.30 pm on ABC Radio National

michael jensen said...

Well, to be fair you did ace em on that Sydney Tele blog. It is good to see your powers used in this way!

What you have nailed is the ability to be direct and pithy and to keep the humourous high ground.

I have to say the Tele readers didn't provide the sternest test though!

Gordon Cheng said...

Thanks Big Mick (and rodeoclown).

No they were a bit all over the place weren't they, some of those Tele types.

Spoke to Stephen Crittenden, I will get about 30 seconds of air time so, you know, don't stay home from your bingo night just in the hope of hearing me.

Anonymous said...

I listen to it on the way to work - Radio National (576am) Wednesday 8.30am. It is repeated at 8pm Wednesday pm.