Saturday 3 May 2008

Preaching Hell

Excerpted from the book Why we're not emergent (by two guys who should be):

Granted, there is no place for giddiness concerning God's wrath, but isn't there a place for passionate, blood-earnest warning? Isn't it biblical to move past agnosticism about hell and implore people on Christ's behalf: Be reconciled to God (2 Cor. 5:20)? Could it be that our evangelism languishes, our preaching loses authority, and our congregations lose focus because we don't have the doctrine of hell to set our face like a flint toward Jerusalem?



Other quotes too, from the Pyromaniacs blog here.

These two guys are right to pick this up. I don't actually know that many hellfire preachers. In fact, I'm not sure I know any. It seems to me that claims of such preaching abounding are grossly overexaggerated (which could be tautological, but isn't in this case). Perhaps it would actually be a good thing if there was a bit more of it, seeing that the Bible itself is so full of the message of judgement. If no judgement, then the grace of the cross makes no sense.

5 comments:

Anthony Caruana said...

Hi Gordon.

My good friend Wayne Schuller recently preached a series on Hell at Holy Trinity Doncaster (in Melbourne) - the church i attend.

http://schuller.id.au/2008/04/27/recent-sermons-hell/

The sermons can be downloaded using links at that page.

Anonymous said...

Sorry: I know this seems to be a concern of yours, but I'm not for "hellfire" preaching: nor any increase in "hell" preaching.

I do believe in Hell, and pray for its emptiness [though that is unlikely], but I do worry about Hell being used to scare people into Heaven: sure, fear, godly fear I'd say, is often a good start, but I do think with such strange images of Hell as many people have, or a belief that it does not exist, it is not the best first option. And, being in church, I do not want to hear wrath/judgement/despair every week: I need to be built up in my faith too and encouraged to "finish the race".

I do not believe Hell needs to be the main focus in preaching / evangelism. But I suspect me may disagree. :)

Anonymous said...

I would advocate a careful mix of both judgement and grace myself - all people need to know the reality of God's wrath towards the unrepentant sinner, but not without knowing of the grace by which that wrath was propitiated onto Christ at the cross. It enables people to come to Christ in true repentance as opposed to mere fear.

Anonymous said...

This is the link to the most helpful sermon on Hell I have heard:
http://www.ccec.com.au/Default.aspx?tabid=172&ItemId=1102&Year=2007
The sermon can be downloaded fom this link.
I thoroughly recommend it!!

Timothy Wonil Lee said...

I'm thankful for those who are able to articulate what I want to say. What those two guys (who aren't emergent) said above pretty much sums up what I want to say about the issue of preaching hell.

And I agree with what you said, Gordon, "If no judgement, then the grace of the cross makes no sense." When we see the terror and misery of hell more clearly by the biblical preaching of hell, God's saving grace will shine brighter in our eyes and hearts, so we will be moved to give thanks to Him who deserves and serve Him with all we are.